Marissa Powell - A class act!

Unless you live under a rock, you've no doubt seen the fumbled answer that Marissa Powell gave during the final question session of The Miss USA Pageant this past Sunday evening. Marissa is the daughter of some of our longtime friends, and my husband and I have been following her progress since she won Miss Utah.

We felt for her as she stumbled through her answer at the pageant. Having participated in a fair share of beauty pageants (back in the old days when big hair was king), I have a healthy respect for the tremendous amount of pressure those girls are under. And, even on a normal basis, I do my fair share of fumbling (just ask my husband and sister). No one is immune from it. We all stumble occasionally, but few of us will ever have the opportunity or curse to do it on live TV in front of millions of people.

As I've watched Marissa's story unfold these past few days, I've been reminded of a quote by Confucius:  "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Marissa, you're the sublime example of grace under fire. I loved your performance on the Jimmy Kimmel show. You inspired me and proved that you are indeed a class act!