Y'all know this wasn't going to end well!

My jaw dropped today when I read this article about a nuclear plant in Tennessee that hired a speech pathologist to teach a class to employees where they could learn how to "neutralize" their Southern Accent.

Here's a direct quote from the article:

"Many people who live and work in a particular region may have no need or desire to change," Lisa Scott, a speech pathologist in Knoxville, Tennessee, told NBC News. "But for people working with other people from other regions, they could benefit from having their accent neutralized."

REALLY?? I am astounded and offended by that comment. I live in the West, and I'm happy to say that I have absolutely no desire to "neutralize" my accent. I'm proud of my Southern Heritage, and if people don't like it, then they can plug their ears. 

Thankfully, the people at that nuclear plant had the good sense to complain, so that class has been cancelled. 

Folks, we have to stand up for our Southern Heritage, and our "accent" is part of what makes us unique. 

I'd like to tell Lisa Scott something that my father-in-law often says to non-Southerners. "When you come here to our neck of the woods, you're the one who has the accent--not us."



Here's the link for the Original Article